Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Pre-Screening Phone Calls Part 2

I was talking to my dad on the phone the other night and the new Healthcare Reform Act came up in conversation. I couldn't help but rehash the conversation I had with Blonde last week. My parents know all about my online dating expeditions and think it's 'neat' that I started a blog detailing them.

I told my dad how Blonde compared having health insurance to owning a car and that he didn't think the $127 I pay per month for health coverage was a significant amount of money. I also told him that Blonde had texted me the day after our phone conversation asking if I would like to be a stay at home mom and not work at all. I happen to have gotten this text while driving to work and started laughing so hard, I almost rear ended the car in front of me. If I had, I suppose my $127 a month health care plan would have come in handy.

At this my dad paused briefly and then said, "Well, maybe you should give Blonde a chance before you completely discount him. Why don't you meet him in person and see how it goes."

Oh no. I should have seen this one coming. I could just see the wires in my dad's brain connecting these tidbits of information.

Just as I was about to stop Dad's train of thought, he said, "I mean if things go well and you were to be on Blonde's health insurance than you wouldn't have to worry with all this. Didn't you say he is an Investment Banker? It sounds like..."

"Dad!" I know interrupting people is rude (not to mention a pet peeve of mine...guys lose points quickly if they are 'interupters'), but I couldn't let him finish that sentence. This conversation had definitely taken a turn for the worse. I have not been having much luck with these damn phone conversations lately. Too bad my dad doesn't know how to text. Or how to use his cell phone. At all.

"I think we both know where this conversation is going and it's nowhere good. I gotta trust my instincts on this one Dad."

"Suit yourself," he replied. "You know, maybe they have dating websites for Danish men only. If you live in Denmark the country pays for healthcare and education, but you have to marry a native Dane. And I bet with your dark hair and eyes you would be considered quite a find there. I would really look into that sweetie".

"Thanks Dad, I'll put that on my 'To Do' list right away," I said somewhat sarcastically, but also thinking that my father might be on to something.


This weekend I will be taking a little break from my online dating escapades to spend a few days in one of my favorite places, New York City! I will be taking a bite out of that proverbial apple while ringing in my 32nd birthday and hopefully scoping out some NYC men. I will report any interesting findings next week.

Whenever I go to New York I can't help but think of Andy Warhol. I became slightly obsessed with his work when I was in college (I was an art history major, so that sort of makes sense). After I graduated from college I read "Edie: American Girl", a biography of Edie Sedgwick who has not only become quite a fashion icon, but was one of Warhol's most significant muses (I'm not sure if 'muses' is actually a word, but you get my drift). Anyway, if I was a lesbian I'd totally have a girl crush on Edie! She can sport a pair of black tights like nobody's business. As a tribute to a fellow Aries, I will post a picture of the enigmatic Edie next to today's entry.

No comments: