Sunday, March 7, 2010

Invisalign Guy

I met this guy for drinks at a Mexican restaurant in Cleveland Park. We happened to arrive simultaneously and made a quick introduction. When he smiled I noticed an unusually bright glimmer of light emanate from his bottom row of teeth. Being a proponent of proper dental hygiene and knowing it is rude to stare, I quickly dismissed any curiosity I had. We sat at a small table near the bar and were quickly greeted by an overly enthusiastic server carrying 2 glasses of water. After we ordered drinks I watched in horror as he took his Invisalign out of his mouth and nonchalantly placed it on top of the napkin next to his water glass (did I mention this guy was 36?).” Nooo!” screamed the voice in my head. My eyes couldn’t resist following his hand movement from mouth to napkin. This was not a good sign. Not. At. All. I would like to say that the date improved from there, but who are we kidding? I waited a respectable amount of time before dashing to the restroom to text my friend (she and I have a ‘bathroom texting’ pact on all 1st online dates). She quickly responded with many exclamation points asking me if I was joking. Unfortunately, I was not.
I honestly couldn’t tell you what we talked about over the next hour and a half. But, I do know I drank 2 glasses of wine very quickly and felt his plastic dental apparatus staring at me from it’s little napkin the entire time. When the server brought the check he quickly threw down a credit card without hesitation (which was very nice of him). As we stood up to leave he asked me if I wanted to “watch me play pool”. Yes, those were the exact words out of his mouth. I politely declined the wonderful offer and uttered something about needing to get home. Since I had taken a cab to the restaurant and he had driven, he offered to give me a ride home. I probably should have said no, but hey I was unemployed at the time and wanted to save 10 bucks. Not surprisingly, the conversation in the car proceeded to get very strange. I learned far too much about his religious upbringing and his days attending a Baptist high school. He made it a point to mention that most of his family is still very religious. Needless to say as his car slowed to a stop in front of my apartment building I already had the car door open and seatbelt unbuckled. I thanked him for the drinks and ride home and headed into the lobby of my building as if I was escaping from a fire. The next morning I received an email from him expressing his interest for a 2nd date. I never responded.
Score: -3 points

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great blog Tara! Can't wait to read some more! --Meghan

thpinkcity said...

Thanks Meghan!

Anonymous said...

eww.

Unknown said...

Hahahahhaha, no way! thanks for sharing that, you just made my Monday morning!