Thursday, March 11, 2010

Debater Guy

So, I'm back at my favorite Mexican restaurant in Cleveland Park for yet another first internet date with guy I'll refer to as Phil. I had a bad experience with Invisalign Guy at this very same restaurant the previous week, but I decided to give the place another try. And I was in the mood for a margarita.

Phil and I ran into each other on the sidewalk in front of the entrance and quickly shook hands and went inside to grab a table. Phil was pretty much a spitting image of his picture, which gave me some reassurance that photographs on these sites can actually be accurate (I have A LOT to say on the topic of online photographs, but I'll save that for another post). We sat across from each other and as we peeled off our many layers of outerwear I remarked at how chilly it was outside.

"Really? I think it's pretty warm, " Phil retorted. Warm? It was probably in the mid thirties and we were both wearing winter coats, scarves and gloves. WTF?

Before I could respond to PHil's statement a very familiar looking server brought us two large glasses of water (crap, was this the same overly attentive person who waited on Invisalign Guy and me?). I noticed Phil was wearing what appeared to be a white mock turtleneck under his sweater. I know what you're thinking...do clothing designers even MAKE mock turtlenecks anymore? I thought they went out of existence around the same time as tight rolled, acid washed jeans and pastel colored tube socks. Regardless I was not digging this look for Phil.

We both began sifting through the menu and Phil asked me if I liked margaritas. I eagerly responded that I did and he said they made good ones there and then began quizzing me on my preference of rocks or blended, salt or no salt. I told him as long as there was Tequila in the mix, I didn't really care. He did not seem amused by my answer and when the server came to take our order he asked for a glass of wine.

Hmm..things were not off to a great start.

We began to talk about our jobs...well, his job and my lack of one (I was unemployed at the time).

Then somehow Phil got to talking about the federal government's website. "You know it's accessible to the public," he informed me.

"You don't say," I responded staring at his mock turtleneck wondering where he could have even purchased this garment.

He goes on to tell me that the government spends most of it's money on social programs. At this I almost choked on my margarita and entered into an uncontrollable coughing fit. I challenged his statement and when he assured me that it was true and told me I could look on the website myself if I didn't believe him. At this point he grabbed his Blackberry from his coat pocket and set it on the table. Afraid he was actually going to go to the website in question, I quickly stated that I was glad taxpayers' money was used to fund social programs.

"They SHOULD spend it on social programs, " I said emphatically and slightly pounded my fist on the table for dramatic effect. He just looked at me. Phil was a real master at the blank stare.

This is going to be the longest first date ever, I thought looking around for our server. I was already done with my margarita while Phil had barely touched his glass of wine. Luckily I caught the server's eye and made a quick gesture to my drink and before I knew it another lovely beverage was placed in front of me.

As I took a gulp of my fresh margarita, I noticed Phil's Blackberry was almost exactly the same as mine. Desperately wanting to change the topic of conversation away from the federal government, I began rambling on about my Blackberry and the AT&T plan I have. Phil also has AT&T. What do you know? We actually had something in common.

Feeling good that he hadn't tried to contradict me in the past 15 minutes I almost started to enjoy myself. ALMOST that is. I happened to mention the fact that I thought my plan was a little on the expensive side, but was told by the guys at the Georgetown At&T store that it was the absolute cheapest plan I could get that also included unlimited texting.

"I'm a big texter," I said.

"Wow, I think you're paying way too much," Phil said. "I know I pay less than that per month".

"But they told me I was on the lowest plan. Trust me I tried everything to get something lower and I KNOW they wouldn't have lied to me...they seemed like really nice guys." But, I started to doubt myself...could I have been paying less for the 24 plus months I've been using AT&T? Did the Georgetown AT&T people try and take advantage of me because I'm not technologically savvy?

Low and behold, Phil starts typing away on his Blackberry to search for his AT&T plan.

"Oh, I guess I do pay what you pay per month", he muttered in a barely audible voice.

And there you have it. I was right. And I was done. With my margarita and with Phil.

Score: -4 points

No comments: