Monday, May 3, 2010

The Boy Band Guy

Last fall I went out on a couple of dates with this guy who happened to be a guitar player in a band. The band was made up of 4 guys total and 0 girls. Since this is literally a band of boys I will refer to him as N'Sync. I remember N'Sync's profile picture was a close-up of him playing guitar on stage. Musicians are sort of like bartenders...take an average looking guy and place him behind a bar, add a few tatoos here and there and presto...this average guy just got 10 times hotter! This was precisely the way I felt toward N'Sync. I can't remember if he emailed me first or vice versa. Regardless, our first date was at a bar near Metro Center where we met for 'happy hour' drinks. Of course 'happy hour' stretched out for many, many hours.

N'Sync and I seemed to hit it off immediately! He was cuter than his profile picture and had slightly curly/shaggy hair that I love on men. He had a very slight build and once again was a little shorter than me (I briefly wondered if I was thin enough to actually fit into his pants). Luckily, I wear flats on all first dates as I am used to this type of occurrence. I learned N'Sync was from a predominantly Catholic family (as was I) and had a major sweet tooth (as do I). He had a sister and brother and seemed to be close to them, which I admire. I always think it's a good sign when a guy is close to his family (especially his mother). Having grown up as an only child, I find adult sibling relationships to be extremely fascinating.


During the course of the evening, N'Sync and I seemed to laugh as much as we talked. This is going smashingly, I thought! The first time I looked at my watch it was past 9:00 and we met at 6. Wow..rarely does time pass that quickly on a first semi blind date.

I also learned N'Sync worked at the Department of Treasury during the day (when he wasn't being a rock star...which he said in jest as he seemed to be a down-to-earth type of guy). His office window is actually pictured on the $10 bill...or maybe it's the $20. Anyway, his office window is literally on money and that's pretty damn cool. He did probability and statistical analysis for the government. Hmm...probability and statistics...2 math courses I opted not to take in college. The most interesting thing about his job was the fact former gymnast Kerri Strugg (sp?) worked in his building!! You remember her...during the whatever-year summer Olympics she did a perfect vault only to break her ankle upon landing. That image of her crying in pain, yet smiling at the fact she just scored a perfect 10 has been immortalized in pictures ever since. Anyway, N'Sync said he saw her every single morning on the Metro and said 'hi' every single morning, yet she never so much as smiled at him.

"What a bitch" I said after what was probably my 5th or 6th glass of wine.

He did mention that while he and his co-workers had yet to gather proof on whether she actually spoke in public they did witness her running down the hall one day.

"I was talking to a co-worker and all of a sudden we heard this rapid, clanking sound. We looked up and low and behold Kerri Strugg was bookin it down the hallway in high heels and a business suit. We braced ourselves for some kind of flip or airborne somersault, but it was not to be."

"That would have been so cool if she just broke into a forward flips in rapid succession," I said. "I bet she ran fast as Hell."

"I'm pretty sure we felt a strong breeze as she passed," N'Sync responded.

After he paid the bill, N'Sync offered to drive me home. As we waited for the parking garage attendant to get his car, we made out in the street. I always feel a little awkward with PDA on a first date, but the large amount of alcohol I had just imbibed made that transition a little more smooth.

After he dropped me off (after getting slightly lost on the way to my apartment...did I mention I'm directionally challenged?), N'Sync sent me a text expressing how much fun he had on our date and that he would like to go out again. I agreed and we planned date #2 for the following Sunday evening.

Sunday evening we met at an Irish bar in Dupont Circle. I could tell immediately the chemistry from date #1 had been taken down a few notches. This date was much more mellow with less laughing and more pauses in conversation.

Uh oh. This was an all too familiar feeling. We had jumped the shark already.

As N'Sync drove me home he played some of his band's music and I generally liked what I heard. It is hard to describe the style..sort of a mix between alternative rock and country. When he pulled up to my apartment we chatted about possibly going out the upcoming Friday night. We didn't make definite plans right then, but it was understood that he would be in touch later in the week to firm things up.

Once back at my apartment, N'Sync sent me a text apologizing for seeming 'tired', but had a good time on the date. Hmmm...

When I hadn't heard from N'Sync by Wednesday of that week, I knew there would be no 3rd date. While it's completely rude to blow someone off, I kind of understood. Online dating is sort of an alternate universe. Since before the first date you and the other person are likely to be complete strangers. I wasn't too broken up about it as I figured things probably wouldn't have escalated any farther. It still is a little shitty to just not follow up at all when you had tentative plans with someone. Although I can't say much as I've done the same thing more than once. When you are friends with someone and then begin dating, it would be looked down upon to just blow someone off completely, but if it's an internet date and you've only gone out twice it can be more understanding. Or can it?
Score 3 points

No comments: